Instacart charges fees based on the services being offered. You can find the breakdown of specific fees here.
Delivery fees can differ based on the time you want your order delivered, and how large the order is. Delivery fees are higher during busy times. There will be a clear indication of this when you are choosing your delivery time.
Delivery fees start at $3.99. As always, Instacart Express members get free delivery on orders over $35.
If your order is late but you paid for busy pricing delivery, we will automatically refund the busy pricing fee, however the regular delivery fee will still apply.
Keep in mind there may be an order minimum amount before you’re eligible for delivery.
The heavy order fee helps cover operational costs and only applies when you purchase certain heavy items, like cases of beverages and pet food, among other products. The fee is applied if the total combined estimated weight of these items is above 50 lbs.
You can always review which items qualify for this fee before you place your order.
To find out which of your item(s) are associated with a heavy order fee—
- Create an order as you usually would in the app or on instacart.com
- You can see the heavy order fee in the order subtotal
- Select the Review link to see the heavy items in your order
- You can adjust the quantity of these items in the pop-up window to avoid or lower the heavy fee
Bottle deposit and bag fees
These fees are collected in accordance with local city and state laws where applicable. To find more information about your state’s bottle deposit fees, please visit bottlebill.org.
To see your state’s bag fees, visit ncsl.org
Taxes & Fees
Like any other service or product, taxes are included in the order totals on your delivery receipt that’s emailed to you upon the completion of your order. The tax and/or fees you pay on products purchased through the Instacart platform are calculated the same way as in a physical store. Depending on your location, the delivery or service fee that you pay to Instacart in exchange for its service may also be subject to tax.
There are a few different taxes involved when you place an order–
- Sales tax: The sales tax may be applied to some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store or your delivery address.
- Heavy fee: This fee helps cover operational costs and only applies to an order once the combined estimated weight of certain items totals to above 50 lbs.
- Bottle Deposit: In certain jurisdictions, a bottle fee may apply to purchases of bottles, cans, or other recyclable containers. These deposits may be applied on some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store.
- Bag Fees: In certain jurisdictions, a fee is charged for use of non-reusable bags. This fee may be applied to your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store.
- Sugar Sweetened Beverage Fees: In certain jurisdictions, sugary beverages are subject to an additional tax. These fees may be applied on some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store.
- San Francisco Healthy Tax: This tax applies only to orders within the city of San Francisco. Visit sfgov.org to learn more.
We encourage tipping as a way to show Shoppers appreciation and recognition for excellent service. 100% of your tip goes directly to the Shopper delivering your order.
The default tip is 5%, or it can be the percentage you chose for your most recent order, with a minimum suggestion of $2 per individual store delivery. Tips are optional and may be adjusted up to 24 hours after your delivery is complete.
You can modify the tip both while placing an order and after delivery is complete.
In the app–
- Tap Account
- Your orders
- Choose your recent order
- Tap Rate order
- You can rate any replacements if applicable, and select a tip
On the website–
- Log in and click Account
- Click Your orders
- Click Rate & Tip